Thursday, April 20, 2017

Book Review - Designs on Her by Shirley Penick

Content to craft her jewelry, sell it through other showrooms, and never deal with the public, Kristen Matthews found her world upended by a forest fire. Forced from her secluded home on the mountainside, Kristen reluctantly moves into town. The apartment she now occupies has a storefront downstairs, perfect for the gallery she never intended to open.

New-in-town police office Nolan Thompson aided in evacuating her property, and found himself instantly attracted to the self-described “filthy hot mess” jewelry designer. Swept up in her upheaval, and torn between his captivation with Kristen, and his own demons from the past, Nolan has some hard choices to make.

I liked the imagery described in this book. I felt like I was there, on the small, touristy island town. Reading this actually reminded me of a past vacation. I found the characters to be likable, right down to Buddy, Kristen’s beloved Airedale Terrier.

Coincidentally, a friend of mine had an Airedale named Buddy, who sadly crossed the Rainbow Bridge recently. As I was reading this story, I kept picturing my friend’s dog as the one in the story. In my mind, Buddy now lives on in literary form.

I felt the pacing was a bit odd in this book. It built up slowly for me. I felt like the plot could’ve been thicker, and that might have evened out the pacing a bit. The wrap-up felt rushed.

Overall, I enjoyed the book. I’m interested to read the sequel, showcasing two of the ancillary characters from this book.

I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars.




No comments:

Post a Comment